Below are instructions on how to publish a Captivate learning object using Github.
Important! Before you begin:
- Download and install Github Desktop at https://desktop.github.com
which will show a purple icon on your desktop
- Set-up a free account on Github.com
- When you publish your Learning Object (“LO“) from Captivate, be sure to have already created and published to a folder titled Github within Documents
Github Desktop icon:
- Click on the Github Desktop icon, and in the toolbar at the top of the page, click File then New Repository.
- When the window opens, type a Name and Description then click Choose to locate your published LO within your computer’s Local Path.
- Click Create Repository. You’ll now see all your LO files and assets under the History tab at the top of the page.
- Click Publish Repository.
- Type Name and Description, uncheck the ‘Keep this code private’ button and click Publish Repository again.
- Go to GitHub.com into your account and view your repository within Popular Repositories.
- Click LO hyperlink which will direct you to another webpage showing your LO files.
- Click dropdown for Branch: master, and in the text field, type or select gh-pages.
- Click the gear icon titled Settings towards the top of the page.
- Scroll down to the section titled GitHub Pages. You will see a box highlighted in light blue with a message that reads, ‘Your site is ready to be published at’ and the website to your published LO. You may need to wait 5-10 minutes before the website publishes; otherwise, you’ll receive a 404 File not found error.